Apple launches iOS 14.3 update with Fitness+, ProRAW photos, and more
Apple today launched new updates to iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3 for the iPhone and iPad. These upgrades bring several new features, including support for Apple’s new workout service.
iOS 14.3 includes Apple Fitness+, a new service that offers on-demand video workouts for Strength, Yoga, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), Core, Cycling, Treadmill, and Yoga. Apple says that most workouts require either no extra equipment or a set of dumbbells, but you do need an Apple Watch Series 3 or later to use the service.
Apple Fitness+ is priced at $9.99 per month or $79.99 per year, and it’s also included in the Apple One Premier Bundle that adds in Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News+, and 2TB of iCloud storage for $29.95 per month. If you’ve got an Apple Watch, you can get one month of Fitness+ free, and folks buying a new Apple Watch can get three months free.
Today’s update to iOS 14.3 also adds support for Apple’s new AirPods Max headphones and introduces the Apple ProRAW photo format on the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max. Apple ProRAW gives you more control over editing your photos by shooting in a RAW format while still utilizing Apple’s image pipeline data that includes things like noise reduction.
Other improvements in iOS 14.3 include an improvements to the Shortcuts app. When you launch an app using a custom icon, it’ll no longer be routed through the Shortcuts app, which should make the process of launching that app faster. The update also lets you set Ecosia as a defaul search engine on your iPhone and iPad.
The Apple Watch is getting an update today, too. The upgrade to watchOS 7.2 introduces Apple Fitness+ support and also includes Cardio Fitness, a feature that will help you to measure your overall health.
iPhone and iPad owners can download iOS 14.3 or iPadOS 14.3 by going into Settings > General > Software Update on their device. The Apple Watch’s watchOS 7.2 update can be installed by selecting Watch > General > Software Update on your iPhone.
While you wait to download and install your new update, you can peruse the iOS 14.3 changelog:
iOS 14.3 includes support for Apple Fitness+ and AirPods Max. This release also adds the ability to capture photos in Apple ProRAW on iPhone 12 Pro, introduces Privacy information on the App Store, and includes other features and bug fixes for your iPhone.
- A new fitness experience powered by Apple Watch with studio-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV (Apple Watch Series 3 and later)
- New Fitness app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV to browse Fitness+ workouts, trainers, and personalized recommendations
- Video workouts added each week in ten popular workout types: High Intensity Interval Training, Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Core, Strength, Dance, Rowing, Treadmill Walking, Treadmill Running, and Mindful Cooldown
- Playlists curated by Fitness+ trainers to complement your workout
- Fitness+ subscription available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States
- Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
- High fidelity audio for rich sound
- Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
- Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
- Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
- Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience
- Apple ProRAW photos can be captured on iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
- Option to record video at 25 fps
- Mirror the front facing camera for still photos on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X
- New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices
- An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
- Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre, and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
- Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports
- Support for launching App Clips by scanning Apple-designed App Clip Codes via Camera or from Control Center
- Ability to indicate pregnancy, lactation, or contraceptive use in Cycle Tracking in the Health app in order to better manage period and fertile window predictions
- Air quality data is now available in Weather, Maps, and Siri for locations in China mainland
- Air quality health recommendations are provided in Weather and Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels
- Ecosia search engine option in Safari
This release also addresses the following issues:
- Some MMS messages may not be received
- Some Messages notifications may not be received
- Contact groups failed to display members when composing a message
- Some videos would not appear correctly when shared from the Photos app
- App folders may fail to open
- Spotlight search results, and opening apps from Spotlight may not work
- Bluetooth could be unavailable in Settings
- Devices could be prevented from charging wirelessly
- MagSafe Duo Charger could wirelessly charge your iPhone at less than the maximum power
- Wireless accessories and peripherals using the WAC protocol could fail to complete setup
- The keyboard would dismiss when adding a list in Reminders while using VoiceOver