Just a few days after iOS users got a major update in iOS 13, it’s time for them to update once again.
Apple today released iOS 13.1 to the iPhone. This update includes some new features, like Shortcuts Automations and Share ETA in Apple Maps. It’s likely that there are some bug fixes and performance improvements from iOS 13 in there, too.
Also rolling out today is an update to iPadOS. This update is big for iPads because it brings with it all of the features of last week’s iOS 13 update as well as some other iPad-specific features. With the update to iPadOS, iPad owners can expect things like an improved home screen that’ll let you fit more apps at once and the ability to pin your Today View widgets.
There are some input improvements in iPadOS, too, like a redesigned tool palette for Apple Pencil, new text editing gestures, and new keyboard shortcuts for physical keyboards, and Apple has added font management to this update, too. iPad owners will also appreciate the updated Files app, which has an improved design and now supports external hard drives, SD card readers, and USB drives.
Other notable improvements coming with iPadOS include a better Safari browser with a download manager, Slide Over and Split View improvements, a floating keyboard that’ll let you shrink your keyboard and move it wherever you’d like, and a system-wide Dark Mode.
If you’ve got an iPhone or iPad, you can grab your device’s update by going into Settings > General > Software Update. While you’re waiting for the update to download and install, you can peruse the full iOS 13.1 changelog below.
iOS 13.1 includes bug fixes and improvements, including AirDrop with Ultra Wideband technology on iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, suggested automations in the Shortcuts app, and the ability to share ETA in Maps.
- Ability to select who you want to AirDrop to by pointing from one iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, or iPhone 11 Pro Max to another using the new U1 chip with Ultra Wideband technology for spatial awareness
- Suggested automations in the Gallery personalized to your daily routine
- Personal and home automations for automatically running shortcuts based on triggers
- Home app support for shortcuts as advanced actions in the Automation tab
- Share ETA to send your estimated time of arrival while your route is in progress
- Optimized battery charging to slow the rate of battery aging by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged
- Performance management feature for iPhone XR, iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down, including the option to disable this feature if an unexpected shutdown occurs
- Notifications for when Battery Health is unable to verify if a new, genuine Apple battery is in iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and later
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements. This update:
- Adds a link to the Me tab in Find My to allow a guest to sign in and locate a missing device
- Includes notifications for when the display on your iPhone is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple display in iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- Addresses issues in Mail that could cause incorrect download counts, missing senders and subjects, difficulty selecting or flagging threads, duplicate notifications or overlapping fields
- Fixes an issue in Mail that may prevent background downloading of email messages
- Addresses an issue that could prevent Memoji from correctly tracking facial expressions in Messages
- Fixes an issue where photos might not display in the Messages details view
- Fixes an issue in Reminders that prevented some users from sharing iCloud lists
- Resolves an issue in Notes where Exchange notes may not show up in search results
- Addresses an issue in Calendar where birthday events could appear multiple times
- Addresses an issue that could prevent third-party sign in screens from appearing in the Files app
- Fixes an issue that could cause Camera orientation to appear rotated when swiping to it from the Lock screen
- Addresses an issue that could cause the display to sleep while interacting with the Lock screen
- Resolves issues where app icons could appear as blank or as a different app on the Home screen
- Resolves an issue that could prevent supported wallpapers from switching appearances when changing between Light and Dark modes
- Addresses stability issues when signing out of iCloud from Passwords & Accounts in Settings
- Fixes an issue where signing in to update Apple ID settings could fail repeatedly
- Fixes an issue that could prevent the device from vibrating when connecting to a charger
- Addresses an issue that could cause people and groups in the Share Sheet to appear blurred
- Fixes an issue that could prevent alternate words from displaying when tapping on a misspelled word
- Resolves an issue where multilingual typing could stop working
- Addresses an issue that could prevent switching back to the QuickType keyboard after using a third-party keyboard
- Fixes an issue that could prevent the edit menu from appearing when selecting text
- Fixes an issue where Siri may not read Messages in CarPlay
- Addresses an issue that could prevent sending a message using third party messaging apps in CarPlay