iPhone owners, the time to update is here again.
Apple today launched iOS 12.3. It’s now available to iPhone and iPad devices running iOS 12, and you can get it by launching the Settings app on your iOS device and then selecting “General” followed by “Software Update”.
The update to iOS 12.3 focuses largely on Apple’s refreshed TV app. There’s a streamlined user interface included as well as machine learning-based recommendations. Apple has also included its new “Channels” feature, which helps you subscribe to video streaming services and watch shows without having to jump between third-party apps. Some of the services available in Channels include HBO, Showtime, Starz, Nickelodeon, and CBS All Access.
Another new feature of Apple’s new TV app is Family Sharing, which lets up to six family members share their subscriptions using their Apple ID and password. You can also download shows and movies for offline viewing.
Apple Watch owners can also grab the update to watchOS 5.2.1 today. This update adds support for the ECG app and irregular heart rhythm notifications in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland, and Slovakia. Also included is a fix for a bug where the numbers on the Explorer watch face would not appear.
You can get the update to watchOS 5.2.1 by launching the Watch app on your iPhone, selecting “General”, then going into “Software Update”.
Below you can find the full changelogs for both updates so that you know precisely what new features and bug fixes that you’re installing.
- AirPlay 2 now supports sharing videos, photos, music, and more from your iPhone and iPad directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV
- One-tap playback automatically plays your chosen TV show or movie on the last screen you used based on time and location
- Siri Suggestions to watch movies and TV shows now include an option to AirPlay
- Intelligent suggestions are all done on-device so your personal information stays private
Apple TV app
- The Apple TV app features an all-new design that highlights expertly curated collections and personalized recommendations
- Apple TV channels offer subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more, available to watch directly in the Apple TV app, online or off
- Subscriptions to Apple TV channels can be shared with up to six family members, with no new apps, accounts, or passwords needed
- New release movies are available to buy or rent in the Apple TV app, including the full catalog of over 100,000 movies and the largest selection of 4K HDR titles
- A new dedicated kids section helps you discover editorially handpicked shows and movies safe for kids of all ages
- The Apple TV app can now intelligently suggest playing to the most likely Apple TVs or AirPlay 2-enabled TVs nearby
This update also includes bug fixes and improvements. This update:
- Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view
- Apple Music’s For You tab now updates multiple times a day suggesting music based on themes like genres, artists, and moods you love
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Apple TV Remote from pausing video, controlling video, or changing volume, on supported receivers
- Addresses an issue that could cause calls made using Wi-Fi calling to drop
- Fixes an issue where song information from a connected iPhone may not appear in a car’s display
- ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 now available in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland, and Slovakia
- Irregular heart rhythm notifications now available in Croatia, Czech Republic, Iceland, Poland, and Slovakia
- Fixes an issue where the numbers on the Explorer face would not appear for some users