The T-Mobile/MetroPCS deal is only minutes old and T-Mobile CEO John Legere just had a video posted to T-Mobile’s YouTube page detailing some of the finer points about the merger. I’ve included the full text below which is being passed around to T-Mobile employees internally as we speak.
Catch the video or read the full text below:
This message is intended for all T-Mobile USA employeesTeam –Today is an important day in T-Mobile USA’s history. We are thrilled to announce a plan to combine with MetroPCS to create a publicly-traded company that will be the premier challenger in the U.S. wireless marketplace. This transaction will significantly accelerate T-Mobile’s Challenger Strategy – the new company will be a bigger, better, bolder wireless challenger with the expanded scale, spectrum and financial and other resources to compete more fiercely with other national U.S. wireless carriers.This isn’t a deal to survive – it’s to thrive. It’s two companies that share a commitment to innovation and customer service coming together to improve the way people communicate. It’s about using our collective talent and innovation to redefine the marketplace. It’s about shaking up the marketplace with our expanded unlimited 4G data plans. It’s opening the door to new opportunities for growth. It’s a sign of Deutsche Telekom’s commitment to the U.S. business. It’s our path to the future.The combined company will be a stronger competitor. Based on analyst consensus estimates for 2012, the combined company is expected to have approximately 42.5 million subscribers and will book $24.8 billion in revenue, $6.3 billion of adjusted EBITDA, $4.2 billion of capital expenditures and $2.1 billion of free cash flow (defined as EBITDA less capital expenditures) annually. We anticipate that the deal will close in the first half of 2013. Once the transaction closes, we will be listed on the NYSE. This is clearly a major milestone that will elevate our brand in the marketplace.We have a fantastic group of seasoned industry veterans to lead the new company. I will serve as President and Chief Executive Officer and J. Braxton Carter, currently Chief Financial Officer and Vice Chairman of MetroPCS, will be Chief Financial Officer. The T-Mobile and MetroPCS customer units will be led by Jim Alling and Thomas Keys, who currently serve as MetroPCS’ President and Chief Operating Officer, respectively. Our corporate headquarters will be in Bellevue, and we will continue to have a significant presence and employee base in Dallas – and throughout Texas.I know that the entire T-Mobile team has been working tirelessly towards our bold “Challenger” vision. This transaction significantly accelerates our strategy by building upon your efforts to create a value-oriented alternative to the existing national carriers – one that is positioned to capture business and dramatically close the gap between us and the other national carriers.Together, T-Mobile and MetroPCS will strengthen the five pillars of the Challenger Strategy:
- Our network will be faster, stronger and more reliable. We will combine T-Mobile and MetroPCS’ complementary spectrum to provide greater network coverage, a deeper LTE network deployment and a path to at least 20×20 MHz of 4G LTE in many metro areas. Our single, national network will deliver Amazing 4G Services to a broader subscriber base, including better LTE network density in key metropolitan areas such as New York, Los Angeles and Dallas. We’ll also have better in-building coverage, which as we all know, is essential for customers. Our new company’s network plans are aligned with and will enhance the $4 billion network modernization plan that we already have underway.
- As a strong U.S. Value Leader, we will be able to offer attractive, competitively priced plans to better serve the full range of customers’ wireless needs, and will have a leading position in fast-growing no-contract offerings. We will be able to strengthen our value leadership position by offering a wider range of unlimited 4G plans, including T-Mobile’s Unlimited Nationwide 4G and MetroPCS’ 4G for All. Customers across the board will benefit from more choice and a broader selection of affordable rate plans, including SIM-only, pay-as-you go, contract and mobile broadband. This will also make our already successful Bring Your Own iPhone option even more alluring to customers.
- Our Trusted Brands will offer a superior customer experience and we’ll be able to reach even more customers through our more than 70,000 touchpoints. Importantly, MetroPCS shares our unwavering focus on delivering exceptional customer service. We’re seeing serious traction in the marketplace from our brand re-launch program, and this transaction will step up those efforts. Not only are we here to stay – we are here to win.
- We will continue making tremendous strides as a Multi-Segment Player by further expanding our salesforce to improve our B2B services and MVNO platform. And our expanded network and product offerings will mean we can aggressively pursue B2B and win more customers. As the leading value carrier, we see a huge opportunity to make the wireless experience better for all customers across the board.
- Finally, MetroPCS also shares many of the characteristics of our Challenger Business Model and is committed to running its business efficiently and effectively so that we can offer the value that our customers expect.Together we will continue to successfully execute against our plan and deliver faster, more affordable, trusted 4G services to more metro areas and more customers.As part of a larger, stronger company – both operationally and financially – you will have additional career and growth opportunities. Our two companies have highly compatible cultures, similar management philosophies and a commitment to innovation and customer service. We will deploy in our larger scale the key capabilities and talent of each company.Today’s announcement is the first step in this process. We’ll have to obtain MetroPCS shareholder approval and customary regulatory approvals before we can close the deal. And until the deal closes, T-Mobile and MetroPCS will continue to operate as two independent companies.I know there will be many questions and I’m committed to keeping you informed throughout this process. In the meantime, watch for an invitation for an all-employee meeting later today. Please also refer to OneVoice for a copy of the press release and other details about today’s announcement.Thank you for your continued dedication and support. Stay tuned – we’re going to shake up this industry.Regards,
President & CEO