Yesterday evening, T-Mobile’s chief product guru tweeted out a link to a brand new page the company has been working on. The new Software Updates page within T-Mo’s support pages now lets you track how far along your next Android update is, and which model is being developed and tested.
The update process is broken in to three parts:
- Manufacturer Development – This is the very first step and denotes that the carrier and manufacturer have agreed to support the new software update.
- T-Mobile Testing – The second step, which can often delay releases, whereby T-Mo’s engineers put phones through a “certification process testing to make sure you get the best quality software possible.”
- Completed – The third and final stage needs no explanation. The software is available to download now.
What’s really useful about this page is that it shows you devices which are due a software update soon, or have had one recently. At time of writing, there are nine handsets/tablets on the page. Those are the following:
- Nexus 4 – Android 5.0 – COMPLETED
- Nexus 5 – Android 5.0 – COMPLETED
- Nexus 7 – Android 5.0 – COMPLETED
- HTC One – Android 5.0 – T-Mobile Testing
- HTC One M8 – Android 5.0 – COMPLETED
- Galaxy Note 3 – Android 5.0 – T-Mobile Testing
- Galaxy Note 4 – Android 5.0 – Manufacturer Development
- Galaxy Note Edge – Android 5.0 – Manufacturer Development
- Galaxy S5 – Android 5.0 – COMPLETED
Although it doesn’t easy the impatience of customers without the Lollipop update, I’m pleased we now have an easy way to check progress of upcoming Android updates. It certainly bits digging in to each individual phone to find out if there has been a software update.
Let us know your thoughts on the new page. And be sure to add this page to your browser bookmarks.
Thanks to all who shared this with us. It’s great news!