T-Mobile G2 Users Suddenly Suffering From Huge Battery Loss?

We’re not exactly sure what is going on and this story is still developing but in the last few days T-Mobile G2 users have taken to the interwebs including our own inbox as well T-Mobile’s support forums complaining of sudden and massive battery drains. This doesn’t seem to be related to the recent Gingerbread update as most of the emails/posts are stock G2 users. Overnight battery losses of 50% or more seem to be par for the course for those complaining of the trouble. There is some consideration that a recent update to Google Maps is the culprit with some users reporting better battery life by uninstalling the recent Maps update. Whatever the problem is, G2 owners (at least those posting on T-Mobile’s forums) are growing increasingly frustrated and hopefully with a little more attention someone can figure out what is going on and fix it. Then again, perhaps the fix is contained within Gingerbread itself and users will need a little patience.

Any G2 users reporting similar troubles?

T-Mobile Support Forums

Tags: , , , , ,

• ah2bahn

369. Aug 5, 2011 10:02 PM (in response to jocke29)
    Re: Unusual Battery drain, phone not holding charge, losing powerPORTLAND, OREGON   8-5-11  9:50pm      Looks the Mystery DRAIN Ended Here Today!!!I have a G2 which started the problem on 7-27-11 and my battery would only last 5 hrs with Data, Wireless, 4G, and Autosync on. At 1:00 pm this afternoon I was at 100% charge and was using 2G. I decided to take it out of 2G and turn on the works that I normally use (Data, Wireless, 4G, and Autosync). It is now 9 hrs later 10:00pm and my battery is at exactly 79%.That means it seem back to normal in the Portland, OR area as I only used 21% battery in 9 hours which was the way it used to be. Looks like the TMO testing/experiment has ended in the area. What an inconvenience! – I hope it’s over!Seems to correspond with the post I saw earlier which I pasted below>>>>>>>365. Aug 5, 2011 8:15 PM Re: Unusual Battery drain, phone not holding charge, losing power I think I’ve figured out what is going on… Having been around the wireless standards groups for over 25 years, I contacted some friends from the past and did a little private research with public standards documents on a hunch that T-Mobile may be doing some sort of experiment or test in its network (pre-merger with AT&T) “under the radar”. But typical T-Mobile customers are VERY tech savvy as you all can see from this forum. We know there is a BIG problem! Background: About 8 to 10 years ago I became aware that ATIS (Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions) through one of its committees worked on various proposals destined for 3GPP – the ATIS work was a precursor to CMAS (Commercial Mobile Alert System). CMAS standards were later refined by collaboration between ATIS and TIA (Telecommunications Industry Association) work groups. The ATIS part of the CMAS standards work was based on the original GSM Standard Cell Broadcast Service (CBS) capabilities as defined in 3GPP TS 23.04143 and also on the Public Warning System (PWS) as defined in 3GPP TS 22.26844. 3GPP debated the potential negative effect of certain implementations of this technology on terminal battery performance as far back as 2004. Note: for those unfamiliar with american and global wireless standards bodies see the websites: ATIS http://www.atis.org/ TIA http://www.tiaonline.org/ and 3GPP http://www.3gpp.org/ It is my theory that T-Mobile may have done a firmware or software change implementing tests of beta version of their CMAS system during the last week in July (and has continued to leave it in place until today in markets in the northwest, Atlanta, Chicago – possibly more… or even ALL). Why would they do this? Well, it turns out that in many scenarios the handset needs to constantly measure and synchronize with network infrastructure on multiple technologies for CMAS to work – in case it was “asked” (by T-Mobile, law enforcement, homeland security, etc.) to get subsequent service when handed off from another technology that was formally sleeping in the terminal. So to put it simply, the more “technologies” running, transitioning, or sleeping in a handset, the larger the strain on the battery because CMAS must have access to all accessible radios in the phone. So if T-Mobile did turn on CMAS and it needed to constantly access GSM, GPRS, HSPA, HSPA+, and not far from now LTE as well as keeping an eye on WiFi radios because of UMA capabilities and probably blue tooth as well — you imagine what could happen. If I’m wrong, then someone come up with a better theory and post it.

ah2bahn
    10 posts since Aug 2, 2011407. Aug 6, 2011 5:13 PM (in response to seattleexplorer)
    Re: Unusual Battery drain, phone not holding charge, losing powerPORTLAND, OREGON Area (Beaverton)  G2 Android 2.3.4My battery drain issue started Wed 7-27-11. I started calling T-Mobile on the issue on 7-28-11 andthey said it was a battery issue and their batteries have a 90 day warranty!  I purchased 2 new HTC batteries and still had the same issue. I did a complete factory reset and did not install any additional apps and my phone would still go from a 100% charge to shut down in about 5 to 6 hours. I called T- Mobile an additional 3 more times and was told this was normal and there were no issues with the G2. I explained that normally the battery running (Data, Wireless, 4G, Autosync and 30 min call time plus 30 min of video/music) would only drop to 80% after 12 hours; I was now losing 17% an hour. I explained that the issue was affecting thousands and was all over the Internet, all started around the same time and to please Google Sudden massive battery drain. Of course they would not as there was no issue!  It appears that T-Mobile may have done a firmware or software change implementing tests of beta version of their CMAS system during the last week in July and has continued to leave it in place until Friday 8-5-11 in in the Portland, Oregon area. I can see most of the rest of the U.S is still having the issue, except for a few areas where they appear to have also ended the tests.  My 2 G2 phone returned to normal Friday (8-5-11) afternoon and after charging last night has only lost 5% in 6 hours today in 4G with Data, Wireless, Autosync and GPS all on.  Thank you T-Mobile! I just hope it stays this way as was so inconvenienced and aggravated enough over those 10 days I was already searching for a new cell provider and phone. Like (0)Replyellenlb
    4 posts since Aug 5, 2011408. Aug 6, 2011 5:37 PM (in response to phillip)
    Re: Unusual Battery drain, phone not holding charge, losing powerMy G2 somewhat better today in Los Angeles but still only 5-6 hrs battery life and at 32% suddenly drops to almost nothing.  Prior post – battery needed to be charged every 3 hrs during the day – from Wed. till today.Report AbuseLike (0)Replymorphon
    4 posts since Aug 5, 2011409. Aug 6, 2011 6:28 PM (in response to phillip)
    Re: Unusual Battery drain, phone not holding charge, losing powerLeft it on 3g/4g today (G2 – Houston, TX), went for 13 hours until down to 15%. Moderate/low usage – so, still draining a bit more than normal, but much better than the last few days. Like others, I had called T-Mobile customer care when I first noticed the issue. Also like others, I was told that the G2 was simply not supposed to last more than 5-6 hours with 4G data on. I told them that I have had the phone since December and that I had never had this problem before, but they told me that they had no idea how that was possible and I probably had it on 2G for all these months and didn’t know it. A very dark mark in an otherwise spotless customer service record.Report AbuseLike (0)Replyjluhmarty
    28 posts since Jul 29, 2011410. Aug 6, 2011 7:19 PM (in response to phillip)
    Re: Unusual Battery drain, phone not holding charge, losing powerI can definitely say that here in the southeast atlanta suburb of stockbridge, ga, my battery has lasted all day now with 3g/4g turned back on.  To be more precise, it has been about 15 hours since I took my phone off the charger this morning and I still have 45% left on my battery.  So today has been proof that t-mobile is doing something to remedy this issue.  I can only hope my situation remains the same and that all of my t-mobile brothers and sisters suffering will soon find their phones are back to normal as well.  I will keep the forum posted as to the continuation of my area receiving the fix it needed.Report AbuseLike (0)Replyagdon
    2 posts since Aug 4, 2011411. Aug 6, 2011 7:23 PM (in response to phillip)
    Re: Unusual Battery drain, phone not holding charge, losing powerVery little use today, charged overnight and has been off now the charger for 12 hours and I still have 83% left on my battery. It would have drained in 5 hours otherwise.  Looks like they have fixed it for me in Houston hopefully it will last.

• AB

Im a tmo G2 user too.  and yes i have noticed considerable draining of my phone’s battery lately. Is tmo gonna do some abt this??? keep us posted.

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/u/35HLVJSI34LMH5M274SCGWDZBY mike

New: Since a couple days ago… 38 hours and going, mild use 2g area. Significantly better life.

HTC G2 w/Gingerbread 2.3.4

• Lvvwdbob

I thought I was just imagining it!  As soon as the Gingerbread was pushed out to me, I noticed a significant increase in battery use.  Also noticed the indicators for battery usage don’t reset–even after turning off, or charging, mine always say 12 hours, 32 minutes 2 seconds on battery, 70% usage by display.  It even says this as soon as I turn it on, or if I’ve had it on for several days straight.

• Bellevue G2

How do you know when you’ve gotten the GB update ?  I’m in Bellevue and for me this started happening about a week ago.  Today I went from 100% to 20% by 3:30 pm. Wireless is off, brightnesss is low and I made no calls.   Battery meter says 45% of battery usage is call standby.

• Caroleeone

I got the update this past Saturday, and today, I came to school with a battery of 30%. What irks me is that I had the wi-fi off, I killed the apps, and the brightness is turned all the way down, yet as I reached my current class right now, my phone is dead. Since the update, I noticed the battery drains a lot faster. :/

• Caroleeone

• Bellevue G2

Update from Bellevue G2 – I have not gotten the GB update.  But am having fast battery loss with low usage, no wireless.  No calls.   Again today it’s down to 35% in 7 hours.

• Bellevue G2

• Trimbo

Same problem here before update would have 8-9 hours battery life after full charge. Now I get 5-6 hours from same use.

• http://mobilegsm.com.pk MobilePricesInPakistan

Same problem with me also. But for me there is nothing really important.
    Hey guys check me out I have some info about cellphones!click me!

• Shshsh

On my phone, the battery’s fine, but it won’t let me make calls. Any way to uninstall?

• Mrs. Mendes

I charge my phone overnight and have never had a problem with the battery until yesterday. The battery is dead after half the day and I don’t use my phone that much during the day. No reason for the battery to be dead. Frustrating.

• megs.

is there any way i can speed up my phone? my G2 seems to be as slow as can be AND its draining my battery.. frustrated.

• megs.

• antony

I know if your like me, and download alot of apps, whether or not your using them or if they are even running in the background it will slow up your phone like big time. when i go from regular screen to my keyboard the screen goes blank, as in no app icons on the pages, this has been happening ever since i downloaded alot of apps,when i factory reset, the phone works fine,but i lose everything.i also uninstalled all the updates for google apps except a few, just uninstall useless apps and updates and it should be a bit faster.

• Jackie_schulman

Yes you are correct.  Went to  a T-Mobile store and they uninstalled many unused apps running in the background.  They also displayed buttons to turn off and on -as needed- certain programs so they don’t drain the battery.  For example WIFI.  Not always running but if I tap the WIFI button will  then be activated for use.  They have great suggestions and know the settings well.

• Wescott_j

Unplugged phone at 7 am. Its dead by 1130. Never had such an issue with this since the ota update. I used to like my phone now it is a pos.

• Jsmith

facebook is draining 76% of the battery. No way to get rid of it either. Awful.

• Geoffrey Swenson

Yes, I leave work with phone almost at 100%, four hours later it’s at 10%. I haven’t used it during that time. Phone has never been wet.

• Sushrutalmast

Got HTC G2 two months back. was fine till few days back. suddenly found
    full discharge. Four things are happening.(1) battery showing 40%
    charge, put to charge. gets discharge more faster. Totally discharged in
    few minutes.(2) Green to orange to blinking orange in few minutes
    totally discharged (3)Fully discharged, hooked to charger, no light, no
    charging (4) Once a week after after kept idle for few days, put to
    charge !!fully charged ????

• Edg23101

I have the same problem but my phone overheats to 40 degrees celcius and my battery rapidly begins to discharge I can go to school with 100% battery at 7:50 and at 12 i’d have 3% left or dead. Also like last night I left it charging I woke up it was overheated at 44 degress still at 70% and didn’t charge at all

• Absoluteroyalty23

the battery is definitely due to the new google map update.  If you uninstall the update, that should improve your battery life.  I just uninstalled it & my battery is already improving.

• Jjtarantino@hotmail.com

Just goto manage programs and stop maps or force close that works perfedt

• Sushrutalmast

In my case, I seem to have fixed the battery problem of my HTC G2. When I put on a new cover for my mobile and put the set to charge the connection being loose (1) either the set did not charge at all, Alternatively if the connection with the charger temporarily got connected it charged for some time may 29 % but as the connection got loose it rapidly discharged. I removed the cover and connected to the charger and it worked. The other option to this problem could be to remove the battery from the set and charge it on a seprate charger.

• dee

My phone is now just starting to. Act up. It shuts off after a complete charge. N then I keep it off. Then I acidentaly turn it on and I wait for my fone to reboot it says that it has full battery why is my fone. Doing this this really needs fixed my phone is really important. I shut my phone off for track practice and I have over 20 messages. Please get this fixed because I am very irritable with this phone

• Undead504

Well i don’t seem to have any battery life problems that i know of yet but every time i use Spotify or any internet service like that my battery over heats in minutes is there any way to fix it Iv googled it but know luck any help well be nice

• sick of this

Attention Morons:

This thread, like every thread on every forum, has a topic.  Stay on it or start a new thread.  Half of these are “I don’t have that problem but…” or some other type of BS.  It makes these threads super annoying and inefficient it not unusable.  Why aren’t moderators on this?

• LaJuan Faxio

There is a known problem with th G2 handset!!!!