As you may well know, I’ve been hanging around in Barcelona for the past couple of days covering MWC for Phonedog.com. By now, you will also almost certainly know that Samsung launched its next Galaxy S device. The S5 takes some of the great features from the S4, improves them and slaps some porous faux-leather covering on the rear shell. And while it may not look incredible, it is – in my opinion – a fantastic improvement.
Spec-wise, it hosts a huge, bright 5.1-inch Super AMOLED HD display, it’s sharp, adjusts contrast and brightness automatically and the touch sensitivity is quick and lag-free. On the back is a 16MP camera, featuring an incredible 0.3 second Auto-Focus system and HDR. It just so happens to record 4K video too.. Still not sold on that in a smartphone. Perhaps the most important features are the improved battery and power management systems, as well as the wide-range of LTE band compatibility and 802.11ac Wi-Fi. The speeds capable from this device are amazing, and in the right areas, with the right connection, could see you downloading a 1GB file in 30 seconds.
I’ll have my video hands on uploaded tomorrow. But for now, I’ve got a couple of images taken, just to whet your appetite until I get back home in front of the Mac.
- 5.1-inch display, 1920×1080 resolution – Super AMOLED – 432ppi
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- 16MP camera – 4K resolution video camera
- 16/32GB storage – 2GB RAM
- IP67 rating water and dust resistant
- Available in Black, White, Blue and Bronze/Gold
- Quad-Core Snapdragon 800 processor.
- MicroSD card slot, expandable up to 128GB
- Category 4 LTE – Compatible with most LTE bands worldwide
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Fingerprint Scanner, Heart Rate Monitor, Wireless Charging
- 2800mAh battery
Any questions, hit me up on Twitter: @TiP_Cam