With T-Mobile’s rate plans set for a total makeover this Sunday there are plenty of questions to be asked. We’ve gotten our hands on a Frequently Asked Question worksheet for T-Mobile reps which might shed some light on the changes. There are quite a few questions so let’s get to it:
1. Why is Messaging not available on the 1,000 minute Individual plan?
Unlimited Messaging is a $10 add-on feature so adding that to the 1,000 minute Individual plan would make it the same price as the Unlimited Individual plan. Customers should be offered the Unlimited Talk+Text plan since it would be the same price.
1. Do Family plans share data or does each family member get their own allotment of high speed data? Can they choose from any data feature or do they all have to have the same data feature ?
Each line receives its own allotment of high speed data. There is no data sharing. The lines on a Family plan do not have to have the same Data feature – they can mix/match.
2. Is the data per line or shared on Family plans?
Data is an add-on feature for each line and is not shared. Pricing shown in brochures for Family plans include two of the same data feature. However, customers can have a mix of any of the four data features.
3. Why is Family Messaging not available on the 2,000 minute Family plan?
Family Messaging is a $20 add-on feature so adding that to the 2,000 minute Family plan would make it the same price as the Unlimited Family plan. Customers should be offered the Unlimited Talk+Text plan since it would be the same price.
Add A Lines
1. Do the Add-a-Lines include data?
No. Data is a separate add-on feature for all lines. However, all lines can choose any of the four data features.
2. Do the Add-a-Lines include messaging?
AALs include messaging on the Unlimited Talk &Text plans and on the 1,000 minute Family plan if the Family Messaging feature is added.
General Rate Plan Questions
1. Is texting included in the rate plans?
Texting/messaging is included in the Unlimited Individual and Family plans. Texting is an add-on feature for all other plans.
1. Is data included in the rate plans?
No. Data is not included in the rate plans. Data is an add-on feature for each line that needs data.
2. Are BB features available at these new rates or will they have separate new rates?
BlackBerry versions of the four new data features are available in addition to non-BB versions. The rates are the same as non-BB but you pay more $5 more if you want BES and BES is not available with 200MB feature (which is not new)
3. How is the data unlimited if there is a cap?
There’s no cap because customers continue to have connection to the internet from their device although at reduced speeds. The data features vary in the amount of high speed data included.
4. How do I know much data the customer will use per month?
Ask customers what types of activities they do on their phone or would like to do and how often; use the data calculator at t-mobile.com/calculator to help customers estimate usage.
5. Can customers upgrade to receive more included high speed data in the middle of the month if they used up their included allotment?
Yes. Customers can upgrade to a data feature with more high speed data included. If the feature is back dated, they’ll have full speeds again if the total usage is under the new threshold. For example, if a customer has the 2GB feature and uses up 3GB by the middle of the month, she can upgrade to the 5GB feature (and back date the change) and experience full speed data again until she reaches 5GB.
6. Can customer downgrade their data feature in the middle of the month?
Customers can request to change to a data feature with less included high speed data. However, that change must be made effective with the next billing cycle – downward data feature migrations cannot be back-dated. Be sure to help customers check their past usage before changing to a lower data feature and ensure they understand certain activities will be difficult on reduced data speeds once they exceed the allotment of included high speed data.
Data Features (continued)
7. When will data speeds reset to full speed if the customer reaches the allotment of included high speed data?
Data speeds reset at the beginning of each bill cycle or if the customer upgrades to a feature with more included high speed data.
8. Is there a premium charge for data on 4G phones?
No. Our data features offer the same price for all phones.
1. Are FlexPay versions of these plans available?
FlexPay versions of the Unlimited Family and Individual plans, 1,000 minute Family plan, and 500
minute Individual plan are available.
2. Are FlexPay versions of these data features available?
FlexPay versions of the 2GB and 5GB features are available.
3. Are the new FlexPay plans only for existing to switch to or are they for Telesales and Web to only sell or can existing FP people not choose them and need to migrate to Deposit Product plans only?
FlexPay plans are available to existing FlexPay customers who switch to them or to new signing up through Telesales/Web. Retail stores can AAL for existing FlexPay Family plans but cannot activate a new FlexPay account. RPS is not selling or servicing FlexPay.
1. What are the Data Thresholds when speeds are reduced and what speed is it? EDGE?
The thresholds are different by feature: 200 MB, 2 GB, 5 GB, and 10 GB. Speeds are reduced to 2G. If the amount of high-speed data is depleted , T-Mobile automatically reduces your data speed. You will not have an overage charge, and will maintain connection to the internet, at a reduced speed. Also, If you use more data than your monthly full-speed (4G) plan covers, we simply allow you to access the Web through our 2G network
1. Is a contract renewal required when a customer changes from one of the new plans to another new plan?
Yes. All the new plans require a contract renewal any time a customer changes to one of them. Since older Even More plans have been grandfathered, all active annual contract plans require a contract renewal.
1. Monthly 4G plans launching on 5/22 – is this what we’ve been working on and are calling the new EM plans?
No. 4G Monthly is the name for Prepaid
2. What are the additional charges for tethering?
Same as before – requires $19.99 or higher Data feature and the TETHER SOC is an additional $14.99/month/line.The 200 MB Data feature cannot have Tethering.
3. Are these new plans Even More plans?
The new plans are two-year contract postpaid plans but do not include the Even More name in systems or customer-facing materials. However, these plans have the same attributes as Even More plans.
4. Are Even More Plus plans still available?
Yes. Even More Plus plans are still available.
5. Are the existing Even More plans available after May 22?
No. The new plans offer better value for customers and replace the existing Even More plans starting May 22.
6. Are the new plans available to Postpaid Deposit customers?
Yes. Postpaid deposit customers can choose from any postpaid plan, including the new plans